I worked and reworked the surface all day yesterday and this is what I got.
A complete mess!!! I have a list of ideas that I wanted to complete with this wax medium and I have not followed my plan. I wrote down 9 techniques for Encaustic.
1. Adding colour between each layer and trying to make each layer as smooth as possible.
2. Using plaster compound and making stencils on top of the plaster and then adding the wax.
3. Making stencils and adding the stencils to the layers.
4. Making stamps and using stamped imprints on top of the layers and between the layers.
5. Using fabric and adding fabric as a college element.
6. Using water-colour and inks.
7. Using incised lines and adding oil sticks to the lines and rubbing them out.
8. Using water colour on the first layer and building up on top of the water colour surface with clear wax.
9. Using transfers with photographs and graphite images.
I have not done one of the above techniques. Because I have so many years of training in the arts and have created sculptures and paintings, I think I should be able to get these great end products. Well, yesterday, I thought that I am crazy to try this new medium and started to talk myself into quitting after trying only two pieces. It is hard using this new medium. I will not give up and keep working on this ugly piece.