Still working on lines for my composition. I also decided to limit my palette to browns and white. Well, that did not work. I have always worked with a lot of colors (blues, violet, reds, purples, etc) and making myself work with such a limited palette drove me crazy. I was working on the following line study.
Well, what frustrations. I first added two layers of clear wax medium to the surface of the canvas. Then added brown rusty colored ribbons for the lines in the square. I then painted watercolor paper surface with a variety of blacks and blue watercolor paint. After the paint dried, cut the paper for the blackish blue vertical lines. In between the black/blue vertical lines I placed crimson yarn vertically. Then, (the hard part) I added wax, yellow/brown into the spaces between the vertical lines and had a hard time fussing and ironing the wax between the lines. The wax covered the vertical lines so I had to scrape away the wax with a pottery tool. Also, when the wax melted with the underneath colors it changed the color underneath and the result was a muddy mess. Here is the first version:
So, what do I do now? I have to do something drastic such as taking my iron and heat gun to the work with my intuition and not brains. I have to break the elements apart step by step and see if something comes out of this or this piece will end up on the chopping block. I rarely am afraid of destroying a work because sometimes, by accident, it starts to work and I am back on track and the work takes a turn for the better.
I needed to use brighter colors and take off the dark blue lines and add lighter lines to pick up the energy of the colors. I see that using lighter lines next to the center square punched the colors of the whole piece and it did not look as muddy. I am not sure it this works yet. I find the that the composition is a bit stiff with the balance of the square in the middle. I feel that it canvas should have been a bit longer because the image appears to tight. That is the problem with a square format. I feel the need to add another square underneath to elongate it. Here is the final version.