In January I decided to buy myself an IPad Pro because I was fascinated with the fact that I could draw, take notes and revise my artworks on the IPad . I love computers and how they make life so much easier and I also love to just sit and draw out my ideas on paper so the IPad Pro tablet would just enhance by exploratory ideas. After watching many video IPad Pro reviews on the internet and seeing how artists are using the IPencil with the IPad Pro, I decided that this was a business expense and would help with designing, cropping, and editing my paintings. So, I have been using the IPad Pro with the IPencil for about 6 months. I also downloaded the ProCreate application from the Apple App Store and with the IPencil have been using both daily.
The Procreate application is only $3.99 and there are different types of brushes, inking, and sketching tools. It can do textures, spray paints, charcoals, etc. Then you can easily change the brush sizes and use different color transparencies. There are an array of color choices. It is an amazing program. It is so easy to upload my painted images into this program. I can also draw and paint directly onto the Procreate’s blank page and use that page with drawing and painting tools to create an original artwork.
In this post I share how I use the Procreate app to make changes to a recent artwork.
The first step is to take photos with my IPad Pro of an artwork at different stages of the process. So for this work, I painted these gauze skins that I had sewn together and took a photo of the two sections of skins.
Then I took a photo of the unfinished painting and added the two sections of skins and placed them directly on top of the painted background, It was like making a collage and playing around with placement before fusing those skins onto the background panel. I then took another photograph with the IPad Pro. This was the original picture that I kept duplicating and using for idea revisions.
As you can see, the background I had painted first and then the gauze was just placed onto the surface, no fusing yet, and I took a photograph of this stage. I did like the gauze with the painted lines together but decided that I needed to connect the background with the foreground in some way. It appeared as though the gauze was sitting on the surface and not integrated into the painting. So this image I duplicated in Procreate over and over again and just played on top of this image with the IPencil in Procreate. I primarily use the drawing and painting tools to try out ideas. I drew directly onto the above painting on the screen.
In the next photo below, I used the painting tool and painted out the background to see what it would look like. I liked the simplicity of this painted one but decided that the foreground and the background were disconnected, it had no energy, and did not relate to my focus for the Darning Memories series which I talked about in my last post.
As you can see above, I took the painting tool and just picked a color from the color swatches and used transparent paint and painted over the surface. I used the felt marker tool and drew lines as I would use a needle to darn the edges of the gauze to the background. I liked the darning idea around the edges. I saved this image to the gallery file.
Note: I keep duplicating the original first image of the painting.
In the following picture I changed the orientation and created a sort of landscape. When you take the IPencil and just touch a section on the screen, you can pick a color to match the color on the painting. This is a great option because then you can pick the exact color and paint with that color over the existing painted image. So, I painted in the sections between the gauze and really liked the landscape effect and will use this idea for another painting in the future. But for the painting I was working on I did not want a landscape feeling because this idea did not connect to the Darning Memory series.
In the next painting revision below I took the felt marker lines and just drew over the existing lines around the gauze. Used the lines to darn around the edges of the gauze.
I liked the energy of this piece so this became my final Procreate version and the prototype for the actual painting. When I went back to the actual painting, I fused the gauze onto the painting and I felt that the lines were too busy so I just softened the lines and scraped back the surface. The following is my final version. It is 24″ X 24″